Thursday, July 26, 2012

Celebrating Silly Thoughts and the London 2012 Olympics


This right here, um, puzzles me.

As I start writing this, the countdown clock to the Opening Ceremony of the  London 2012 Olympics just hit the three-hour-mark. Am not much of a sports fan (I doubt the Olympic Committee will include MMA in the games anytime soon), but I do love a good celebration. And if the Olympics was anything, it’s a celebration.

So in honor of this wonderful event, which is the Olympics, I decided to take some time off and celebrate with the rest of the world the opening to this much-anticipated event by reminiscing my early thoughts about the Olympics.

The Olympics is Silly

This was the first impression I had about the Olympics. I was about 6 years old. You’re probably wondering what kind of people my parents were for raising a kid who thought something as pristine as the Olympics was silly, but now seven Olympic years later, I’d say my younger self was right on the money.

Don’t believe me?

Just take the Walkathon (or at least that’s how I called and still call it), for instance. Actually called the Race Walk, it’s a silly-named race where athletes, must, and this is what it says on the London 2012 Olympics site, “fight the urge to break into a run.”

Race Walk: Going the slowest the fastest. Or is it the other way around?

Now, I can't decide what I find sillier, the athletes who are trying desperately not to run or the folks cheering them on. “Faster! No, wait! DON’T RUN. What are you doing? GO FASTER! WAIT! STOP! ARGHH!”

Another thing is the Synchronized Swimming. I know. I get it. It’s hard to keep afloat, wear those hideous suits, and smile the whole time. But man, it has to be pretty near impossible finding an all-girl set of octuplets in each country, right?



Mommy should probably get a medal as well.

The Olympics Invented Fireworks

Okay, this might be a third-world thing, but back then I honestly thought fireworks were invented by the people behind the Olympics. I’d be watching these fireworks on the television and think: “Those things must cost a million pesos.”

Now, that I’m older and have access to the wonderful thing that is the internet, I’ve read somewhere that China actually invented fireworks. Whoa. China invented fireworks. Invented. They actually inven-AAAaaandddd I’ll probably leave that there alone.      

Maybe a little bit of silly is a good thing; especially in something as big and grand as the London 2012 Olympics. So bring on the Race Walks, the Synchronized Octuplet Swimming, the Trampolines and the grinning fans, it’s time for the Olympics once more. Let me just walk very, very fast -- without running, mind you -- to the fridge and grab an Olympic-sized burger. Feel free to cheer me on.

***

By the way, all pictures are copyright of the official London 2012 Olympics site.


Find anything silly about the
London 2012 Olympics? Please leave a comment.





Want to start working from home on an online job? Here are some things to consider.




No comments:

Post a Comment